Wednesday 20 July 2011

Chick naming....

Well after last nights fun and games this little soul has been awarded HIS name!


Yup... this little toe rag is a cockerel...
I was a little late popping down to shut up the coops ... so grabbing a torch for extra light in the dimming dusk I first closed up the youngsters in the classic coop.

I always open up the side door to do a head count and the ginger monkey was missing.... after a quick scan around I went and got Les and he came down to help search... the youngsters and the grown ups are currently separated by a 4 ft Omlet fence .... it would appear that for some unknown reason he had decided to join the big girls but as I found him hunkered down on top of the 5ft run on the eglu cube I assume the meeting did not go too well...

I managed to pick him up (only one small nip to my finger!) and put him back in the classic coop with his siblings...

This morning when I let them out I looked for injuries and found none... however I assume the kazoo like warbling's are his attempts at crowing...

Therefore Les has now named him .... Sir Crowalot...

he's also searching out food and making a different chirping noise and the others run to see what he's found... I think he's going to be very good at looking after his girls...


He's only eight weeks old ... so I assume he's an early bloomer... :D

The next stumbling block will be ... do I keep him... or do I get rid of him...?

I'd really love to keep him... but I am not a noisy person... while my neighbours have no problem with their loud music, barking dogs, screaming children, noisy cars and drum kits... I don't like to disturb others... never play my music too loud, don't allow my children to run around screaming for no reason... even the dog only barks on command... unless a visitor arrives and he tells us.. so can I keep a cockerel...

we'll see how we get on... I'd love to see him in all his plumage... he has some beautiful petrol tail feathers growing... I think he might be a good looking Rooster...


I changed the classic base from the flat rabbit base to the chicken coop base with roosting bars and nest box.... now it should be easier to keep cleaner... lol

Well thats all for today...
More to come soon... I thought I'd share the joys of cleaning out the Eglu cube with you all... lol ...





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I vote you keep him - if the neighbours moan then you can say.... really? I don't hear him over the sound of your dogs barking all the time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Taz you should keep him. You live in a village and people should wake up to the sound of a cockerel plus he's a handsom fellow.

    Thanks for yesterday

    Jo

    ReplyDelete